Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Fresh Guava, Rainy Day Grilled Cheese, and a True Blood marathon

When we moved into our house the yard was already landscaped (so lucky!). One of the trees bore a mysterious fruit that I was guessing was guava after many google images scoured, but couldn't be sure as the one piece that I was able to pick was small an didn't really seem to ripen. The rest fell off before I could sample so I just figured I would wait until the next year, also guessing it was a young tree and would probably produce more fruit the next time around.

Well, the blistering Arizona heat is FINALLY letting off and we had a nice, cool 99 degree breezy rainy evening. I decided to enjoy the backyard, for this first time in months, and noticed the tree had fruit again. And I was right! This season there are about a half dozen! 2 were perfect for picking so I grabbed them, rinsed them of and cut one up. Looks just like a green apple on the outside (learned this is the variety) and is soft like a pear on the inside. The flavor? Not as beautiful as the smell but it's tasty. I am currently obsessed with smoothies so I think I will try one of these in tomorrow's concoction. Seriously though, these things smell incredible. The one sitting in our fruit basket has the whole kitchen smelling good!

The "cool" and rainy evening has me in the mood for a grilled cheese and tomato soup but I had to add some goodies. Love me some avocado, red onion and tomato with my melty cheese and toasty bread.

Top that off with a True Blood mini marathon and I call that a successful Wednesday evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment