Sunday, September 9, 2012

Spicy Thai Noodles

Bored with the regular menu, I made some spicy Thai noodles for dinner last week.

 This trick is one of the coolest things I have learned in the kitchen in a long time!  This is how you get  consistent spiciness to a dish:

Heat 1/2 cup sesame oil with 1-2 Tablespoons of crushed red pepper over medium heat.  
Separate the crushed red pepper, discard, and keep the now spicy oil.
(I used only 1T and it was perfect. Normally I enjoy a medium spice level in Asian and Indian cooking and I would pin this amount right on the nose in that category.)


Next add 6 Tablespoons of teriyaki sauce and a few Tablespoons of honey.
(A trick my mom taught me years ago is to counter act spicy food, sweeten it with sugar or honey.  So at this point, add more or less honey to balance out the spiciness of the oil - if you feel like you added too much pepper, add more honey and vice versa)




 The cooking instructions for the chow mein noodles told me to boil rapidly and to let it over boil, add a cup of cold water then cook until it over boils a 2nd time, 6-7 minutes.  Any type of noodle will do here, really.


Coat the cooked noodles with the sauce.  If you want to serve this cold, refrigerate the noodles before tossing with your toppings and do so just before serving.   Otherwise, keep on going.


Toss with chopped peanuts, shredded carrot, and sliced green onions then top with fresh cilantro once dished.


Enjoy hot or cold with a nice, crisp beer (if over 21, of course) to balance out the spicy.  Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment